Tuesday 12 May 2015

Review: Warlord German Grenadiers




For my first review, I have chosen the much anticipated Warlord German Grenadiers. I imagine a lot of Bolt Action players were waiting for these - I managed to obtain my for free through a cracking offer to subscribe to Wargames Illustrated.

So first of all, value for money. You get enough parts to make 30 figures in box set that Warlord sells for £27. I imagine if you shop around you can get that down to under £25, if not further. So at well under a pound a model, I don't think you can grumble. 




In the box you get five of the above sprues. As you can see, there are 6 bodies on each sprue. Two of these are wearing the Zeltbahn ponchos. Used as tents they also provided valuable camo to wear in combat and are a distinctive feature of the late war. Weapons wise you get rifles, MG42's, plenty of panzerfausts and also several options for loaders. This is nice because the other late war German box set misses these extras so you can struggle to make good loaders of of it. There are of course loads of other extras, from heads all the way down to an Iron Cross. 

Of course the one thing everyone was waiting for is the assault rifles! Not overly common in real life but a staple of many a Bolt Action army, you get 15 in total, three on each sprue. Two are built onto arms and there is one free one to use as you please. 

Assembly wise they are fairly straight forward. I did find the ones with Zeltbahn were the hardest to attach the arms too, as the ponchos seem to push them forward a bit. The bodies also attach to the sprue by the collar so you have to cut carefully. I also found heads struggled to stay on (more than normal), but that could be me. 

Overall I woud give this kit a solid thumbs up. I was disappointed at the ratio of Zeltbahn as I think I would have liked half and half, and the posing can be a tad awkward. That being said the value of this box set I is awesome. You could easily buy just this box and squeeze a 500pt force out of it. 

I have so far put together one of them, but in the near future there will be two squads of five vets with assault rifles joining my little version of the Heer, and I hope to have them done in a couple of weeks. In the mean time, here is the one I have put together. 





In other news, please like my face book page for more frequent updates. If I can ever figure out how, I shall link the blog to the page! But for now, here you go:
https://www.facebook.com/Thecardboardfortress




No comments:

Post a Comment