Saturday 6 February 2021

Hastati Completed

 

I've unintentionlly fallen behind somewhat with my blog posts - I had intended to post more often in January, but was so busy painting and doing overtime I didn't get chance.  So a lot of the posts over the next few weeks will actually be from my January output.

Way back in 2019 I decided that I would get into Warmaster Ancients, and went for 15mm. I chose the War and Empre range from Forged in Battle and ordered the republican army start set, as my friend ordered the Carthagians. We had big plans (as always) but they fell by the way side. 

Fast forward to January and I've finally painted nealy all of them. The most recent is a unit of Hastati (I hope I spelt that right!).

During the Republican period, there were three types of legionnaires. At the rear were the veterans, the Triariri. In front of them were the more experienced soldiers, the Principes and at the very front (excluding the skirkmishers) were the Hastati. These were the new boys. 

Here is my unit of those young bucks:


These were painted in the old base coat, wash, highlight method. I have gone to the trouble of adding shield transfers from Little Big Man Studios. Fiddly to do in this scale, but I think they finish the unit off. 

The unit itself is 24 strong, and mounted on 40mm by 40mm bases. Whilst based for warmaster, they could easily do double duty for Hail Caeser. 

I now have just one unit of the starter army box set, the cavalry, to do. They are not too far down the queue. Currently, this is the state of the army:



It's turning into a tidy little force and consists of two units of Velites (the skirmishers) a unit each of the three types of legionnaires and a general. I would need to roughly double the size of the army for a reasonable game of Warmaster, so that will have to be the plan. 

The next stage is to find some opponents for them. Warmaster allows armies from different time periods to face off, so I just need to find another amy to collect.

5 comments:

  1. Splendid Hastati, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I’m pleased with them and think the transfers finish them off.

      Delete
  2. Very nice work as always.
    You could always do the classic and get a Gaulish army, just remember to include Asterix and Obelix if you do ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s one option, but a Gaul army needs a minimum of 8 units of warriors as a start - and it’s taken 2 years to paint these seven units!!

      Delete
    2. Well you've set the pace now.
      Try to beat your best time for painting an army!

      Delete